A smooth, fresh bourbon cocktail to enjoy while grilling or just relaxing on this holiday weekend.
Memorial Day is more than just a day, it’s a weekend. It’s a time to reflect and be grateful for the contributions of our military personnel. It is also the official start of summer, and time to cookout, hang out, head to the pool or lake or beach.
Bittermilk offered an old fashioned mix flavored with sour cherries for the holidays. I acquired a bottle and found the flavors rich, sweet, and delightful. And far from being just a winter-time mix, I thought that adding some maraschino cherry syrup and fresh mint would bring the flavors together for an easy yet potent bourbon drink.
When talking maraschino cherry syrup, I’m referring to the good stuff. It should flow like molassas and be the color of dark cherries; non of the lurid candy red stuff that comes with the more commonplace maraschino cherries. Try Luxardo or other quality brand. It will cost a little more but it really is worth it.
Use your favorite boubon but aim for one that is hearty, oaken, and smokey.
Chef Jack’s Memorializer:
- 2 oz. of your favorite bourbon
- 2 oz. Bittermilk No. 7 Yuletime Old Fashioned Mix
- 1/2 oz. maraschino cherry syrup
- 1/2 brown cane sugar syrup
- small bunch of fresh mint
- preferred bitters
- orange peel and maraschino cherry for garnish
- Add bourbon, Bittermilk mix, cherry syrup, and cane sugar syrup to a shaker
- Add ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds
- Add fresh ice to a cocktail glass and lightly bruise mint leaves; add to glass
- Pour cocktail over ice and mint
- Add 3-4 dashes of bitters
- Garnish with orange peel and maraschino cherry
Happy Memorial Day!